Sunday, May 07, 2006

Oops...What Happened?

I'm not sure what happened, but my last two posts have disappeared. It's too bad, because they were two of the finest, most astute posts in blogging history. The Internet will never be the same...

Anyway, just a couple of quick thoughts today. First, the Cubs are in trouble. Their offense has disappeared and their pitching, although not horrible in the last few days, has nonetheless been inadequate. And the fact is, the Cubs can't blame all of their woes on injuries to three of their star players. Sure, it has hurt having Mark Prior, Kerry Wood and Derrek Lee on the DL, but every team has to deal with injuries. It's part of the game. The really good teams persevere and find a way to win. So far, the Cubs are proving that they're not really good.

I'm not sure what the answer is to fix things, but I'm beginning to believe that maintaining the status quo is not the answer (contrary to what I said in one of the posts that disappeared). Things need to be shaken up and if I was Jim Hendry, I wouldn't wait too long to shake them up. The problem is that adding a mediocre 1st baseman to cover for Derrek Lee while he's out healing his broken wrist isn't going to fix the problem...or is it?

Let's face it, no player currently available is going to replace Lee's offense. But what if the Cubs were to go out and get Kevin Millar? His bat wouldn't replace Lee's, but his enthusiasm, irreverent spirit and leadership might be enough to help turn things around for the Cubs. Trust me, I recognize that I am grabbing at straws here, but you know what they say: "Any port in a storm."

I'm bumming a little bit right now. I watched the Giants play the Phillies tonight and Barry Bonds hit his 713th career HR. I had hoped that Barry would do the honorable thing and retire before he passed the Babe. It was foolish of me to think that Barry was capable of doing anything honorable. Now, it appears that we are only days away from Barry catching and passing the Babe to move into 2nd place for career HRs. I guess it is inevitable, but I don't have to like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home