Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I'm Back...What Happened?

My career has been impeding on my life the past week or so and I've been out of touch. Not much happened with the Cubs while I was gone, but there are a couple of issues that desperately deserve my attention.

The Cubs have signed former Astros and Red Sox hurler Wade Miller. Miller is coming off of labrum (shoulder) surgery following an uninspiring and injury plagued 2005. Miller will be earning $1 million in 2006 with another $1 million in incentives on the line.

I like this signing. I like it a lot. There is very little downside and an awful lot of upside. Think about it. If Miller doesn't throw one pitch in 2006, all it is costing the Cubs is $1 million. That's a lot of money to you and me, but the Cubs spend more than that on spilled drinks during the course of the season. If he eats up some innings, he's a great signing. And if he returns to his glory days of a few years ago, Jim Hendry is going to be in line for sainthood. It's a no lose proposition.

In other news, the Philadelphia Inquirer is reporting that the Cubs are in talks with Mike Piazza. Since this bit of news was in the paper it must be true, yet I am skeptical. I can't imagine what the Cubs would do with him. He would be a mighty expensive pinch hitter. Plus, I doubt if he would accept that role.

I like Mike Piazza. I think he's a class guy and has certainly proven himself over the years. There's no doubt he's on the downside of his career, but he probably deserves better than being a pinch hitter for the Cubs. Unfortunately for Piazza, I don't think there are too many clubs out there who consider him a viable everyday catcher.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home